On Christ the Solid Rock We Stand…
At present, the congregation numbers about 250 members and occupies a debt-free multi-use facility. The current sanctuary stands on the same spot as the original church building, and has been actively serving the people of North Central Idaho for 120 years.
Grangeville Christian Church is a Bible-based, congregationally-governed, elder-led body connected with the historic Stone-Campbell Restoration movement of the early 19th century.
Our purpose is to carry out the Great Commission as stated by Jesus in Matthew 28:18-20, which involves the proclamation of the saving Gospel, providing opportunities for the spiritual growth of believers, giving pastoral care to members, and blessing the community as a whole.
Where We Have Been
Grangeville Christian Church came into being in August of 1901 as a result of a Gospel Tent Meeting led by evangelists from Oakland, Oregon. The original building stood on the corner of State and North 3rd Street. (Most old timers know this original location as the lumber yard for the Madison Lumber Company.)
The original building was moved in 1908 to our current location at the corner of South First and Idaho. From 1937 through 1957 several remodeling projects were completed to add a kitchen, fellowship hall, and Sunday School rooms. During this time a full basement was dug, mostly by hand, that housed Sunday school rooms and the nursery. The original fellowship hall faced Idaho Street and the school property.
The congregation continued to plan, pray, and build for the future. We broke ground for the new fellowship hall and education wing in 1992. These were located to the west of the original building in additional lots that were purchased in the 50s and 60s.
The last phase of construction started in the 2000s. During this phase, as the original building was torn down and the basement filled in, the congregation utilized the fellowship hall for both worship services and fellowship times. The new sanctuary was completed and connected to the fellowship hall.